Meet our Visitor with Jürgen N. Baur
20 Jul 2021
Meet our Visitor: Jürgen Norbert Baur, BVLH Vice President, Member of the Board of Trustees and Administrative Board of EDEKA Head Office Hamburg.
Mr. Baur, how important is Anuga for your business?
Anuga is rightly the world's leading trade fair for the food industry. In 2019, 8,000 exhibitors and 170,000 trade visitors came from 200 countries. Even if Anuga is a little smaller this year because of the Corona crisis, I can still get a wonderful overview of the product range, observe trends, test innovations and, of course, do business at the show.
One focus of the Anuga program is the presentation of trends and innovations. How important is this trade show program for you?
As the saying goes: competition stimulates business. For me, there's nothing better than being able to offer my customers innovative products that my competitors don't have on their shelves. Finding the "next big thing" is where it all starts. For me, Anuga is the hotspot for food trends. The trade show has developed good ideas for this. Whether that's the "Trend Zone" or the "Taste Innovation Show," there's a platform for all the latest developments. I think that's good.
In your view, will the "world of food" change as a result of the Corona pandemic?
The Corona pandemic is the accelerator for the two major trends of the 21st century: digitalization and sustainability. I am firmly convinced of that. After all, we're already seeing it. It's not just the digital world of work that has received a tremendous boost. The change in consumer shopping behavior is also making itself felt in online food retailing. In addition, the Corona crisis has triggered an intensive discussion about how crisis-proof and future-proof our society is. Under the keyword "resilience," this is also being discussed controversially for the food system. More and more people share the view that the Corona pandemic reinforces the need to produce, process and market food more sustainably. All of us in the food industry cannot ignore this demand.
Brief vita of Jürgen Norbert Baur
- Name: Jürgen Norbert Baur
- Place of residence: Höri (Lake Constance)
- Place of birth: Schaffhausen (CH)
- Training & career: Commercial training 1977 | Dual studies in business administration 1982 | Department store group until 1992 | Self-employed EDEKA merchant at EDEKA Südwest from April 1993 | 11 stores 2020 | 13 stores 2021
- Honorary commitment: Member of the Board of Trustees of EDEKA Head Office Hamburg | Vice President of Handelsverband Südbaden | Vice President of BVLH | Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board of EDEKA Südwest | Member of the Board of Directors of EDEKA Head Office Hamburg | Chairman of the Junior Group of EDEKA Head Office Hamburg